Steal Like An Artist will be a book that I am going to keep for my personal collection. I can see myself reading this book over and over again to get that little extra kick in the pants I might need from time to time.
Chapter nine is about being boring because it is the only way to get your work done. Austin starts this chapter talking about how he is a pretty boring guy. He states that if you so call burn the candle at both ends too long your bound to wind up less creative or even dead. He says "It take a lot of energy to be creative. You don't have that energy if you waste it on other stuff.
Another good point that Austin makes in this chapter is to stay out of debt. You have to learn about money as soon as you can. The art of holding on to your money is all about saying no to consumer culture. His Grandfather used to tell his dad, "Son, it's not the money you make, it's the money you hold on to."
My favorite part of this chapter has to be the part about keeping you day job. It is something that I have come to realize for quite some time now. It is true that your day job gives you money, a connection to the world and a routine. My job has even been known to be a inspiration for me every so often. It has taught me many valuable things over time.
Lastly Austin talks about getting yourself a calendar and a logbook. This is something that I have struggled with over the years, but when I do religiously keep a calendar I notice that benefits. It's just sticking to that routine that has been a problem. Now with the logbook, that is something that I have never really done before. As suggested I will attempt a logbook this week and post my entries on Saturday here. Come back and give it a look. Hopefully you all will find some good in keeping a logbook.
A calendar helps you plan work, gives you concrete goals, and keeps you on track. Keeping the chain going like it says in the book is a good way to create momentum when it comes to being creative.
With a logbook the small everyday details can help you remember the bigger details. This one is the activity that I am looking forward to the most. I really like how Austin has his laid out in his book, it seems more fun than a tedious everyday task.


No comments:
Post a Comment