The last chapter in Austin Kleon's book Steal Like An Artist is about constraints and knowing what to leave out. Really if you think about it, if you don't give yourself any constraints the idea that you can do anything is really terrifying. Limitations mean freedom and the right limitations can lead to some of your best work. Working within parameters as a good idea when it comes to creativity. Austin says it the best "In the end, creativity isn't just the things we choose to put in, it's the things we choose to leave out."
I really believe that limiting yourself, or making constraints in your projects helps to focus and get a better end result. Jack White is absolutely right when he says, "Telling yourself you have all the time in the world, all the money in the world, all the colors in the palette, anything you want-that just kills creativity." Can you image how hard it would be to create something without limits?
Recently I had a past classmate of mine come to me and ask if I knew anyone that could do a caricature of her Dad. I immediately thought she might be asking me and was terrified because I do not have any kind of experience in this style of art. This so happened to happen at the same time I knew this week blog post was coming up. I sent her a sketch and for my project I will be giving it a try. I am going to work in strictly digital because I feel that I can produce something rather quickly in this medium. I also stated that I will be doing the art in grey scale, colorizing this would probably put me way over the time budget that I am thinking of. Below is my initial sketch.

No comments:
Post a Comment