Monday, October 8, 2018

In the book "Steal Like An Artist", Austin Kleon talks about how computers have robbed us of the feeling that we're actually making things. He quotes a few artist on how they feel the computer has somewhat set us back from being creative. Stanley Donwood says "You never really get to touch anything that you're doing unless you print it out." Austin also says to just watch someone at a computer, they're so still, so immobile. He says that we need to move, to feel like we're making something with our bodies, not just our heads.
Austin finishes the chapter talking about bringing the analog tools back into his creative process. He comments on how he has two workspaces in his office, one that is analog and one that is digital. Austin talks about how when cartoonist Tom Gauld says he stays away from the computer until he's almost done all of the thinking, because once the computer is involved, "things are on an inevitable path to being finished. Whereas in my sketchbook the possibilities are endless."
Kleon suggests that you try the split office space if you have the room. The following are pictures from my analog desk that is across the room from my digital space. In the pictures are the countless sketches that I did for a wordmark project. The last picture is the finished product that appeared in last years student show.



I felt working in both analog and digital with this project was really important. I kept going through the analog-to-digital loop that was mentioned in the book. It really seemed to help me when I was getting stuck in one method. I would just switch back and fourth until it felt just right. I definitely came to more of a roadblock when I was working digitally. There were too many opportunities to start over or get frustrated when I couldn't relay what was in my head to screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment